John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) described Shelford as follows

SHELFORD, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bingham district, Notts. The village stands near the river Trent, 2 miles NNE of Radcliffe r. station, and 3½ WNW of Bingham; and has a postal pillar-box under Nottingham. The township contains also part of Newton hamlet. Pop., 597. Houses, 133. The parish contains a1so the township of Saxondale, and comprises 3,560 acres. Real property, £7,342. Pop., 692. Houses, 155. The manor belongs to the Earl of Chesterfield. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Ralph de Hanselyn; and went, at the dissolution, to the Stanhopes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £60. Patron, the Earl of Chesterfield. The church is good; and there are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and three alms houses.

Page link: 'Grave Robbing' at Shelford
'Grave Robbing' at Shelford
Shelford Men and their Red Collars
Page link: Lucy Hutchinson on the English Civil War
Lucy Hutchinson on the English Civil War
Local Events of the seventeenth-century conflict seen through the writings of the wife of a governor of Nottingham of the time