John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) described Girton as follows:

GIRTON, a parish in Newark district, Notts; on the river Trent, contiguous to Lincolnshire; 3½ miles NNE of Collingham r. station, and 6¼ ESE of Tuxford. Post town, Collingham, under Newark. Acres, 1, 075. Real property, £2, 056. Pop., 188. Houses, 46. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of South Scarlet, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is a very humble building, with a small tower

Page link: The Miser of Girton
The Miser of Girton
A story found in an unidentified newspaper clipping