St Ann's Nottingham

Photo:St Ann's Church and Robin Hood Chase c.1910

St Ann's Church and Robin Hood Chase c.1910

A general introduction to the history of the area

The name St Ann’s is derived from a medieval chapel dedicated to St Ann, the Christian patroness of wells and springs. The chapel was situated next to a spring that was claimed to have healing properties, that spring, originally called Robin Hood’s Well later became known as St Ann’s Well.

The Well was a well known landmark until the construction of the London and North - Eastern railway resulted in its demolition.

Until the passing of the Nottingham Enclosure Act in 1845, the area was largely uninhabited and formed part of the Clay Fields area. After that date, the council was able to develop the land, and the area became known as St Ann’s. By the late 19th century the area was fully developed with a mix of industry and housing – including large terraced houses on tree-lined streets and thousands of small terraces.

A wide, tree lined walk, Robin Hood Chase, ran through the centre – providing a green recreational space for local residents.

By the late 1960s, the area, like so many others close to the centre of Nottingham, had become very run down and was a target area for the council’s slum clearance programme. Much of the area was re-built during the 1970s and 1980s, often with new street patterns. Many local residents were moved out to other areas of the City and their close communities split up.  

St Ann’s Allotments

St Ann 's Allotments are the oldest and largest allotment site in England. They were created in the 1830s and are now Grade 2* listed as being of 'Special historic interest'.    


The parish church of St Ann with Emmanuel was opened on Robin Hood CHase in 1972. It replaced two previous churches, St Ann's on St Ann's Well Road (Designed and built by R.C. Clarke in 1864, demolished in 1971) and Emmanuel Church, Woodborough Road (Designed by Wason Fothergill, demolished in 1972).

This page was added by H W on 02/01/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.