Christ Church vicarage

No.30 London Road, Newark

Christ Church

The church was established in Newark on Lombard Street in 1837.  It was the second CofE church to be built in the town (after St.Mary's) and with no separate parish being created, almost acted as an overspill for the congregation from the main parish church.

At the time of Christ Church's opening in 1837 there was no dedicated residence for its clergy, and the first incumbent, the Rev. Robert Simpson, actually lived in a grand residence usually referred to as 'Guthrie's House' set back from the road on Castlegate. (The Corn Exchange now stands on the site of this building).


Christ Church Vicarage - No.30 London Road

The vicarage - a substantial, gothic-style residence - on London Road was built in 1862.  On the occasion of its completion the Newark Advertiser (23 April 1862 p2 c2) noted:-

"On Friday last Ewan Christian, Esq., surveyor and architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, surveyed the new parsonage of Christ Church on the London Road.  After a most minute examination of every part of the building, he expressed his opinion that it was perfect and complete in all its parts, both as regarded architecture and workmanship.  Such an eulogium from an official gentlemen of high standing must be very gratifying to those who have had the management of the works"


At this time Newark was not greatly extended along London Road and the vicarage stood virtually in open country, with fields on its Newark side and at the back - and also facing it on the other side of the road.

When the site for the vicarage was given to the church in 1860 a strip of land 15 ft. wide on the east side of the site was reserved as a private roadway giving access to the fields behind.  The Vicar had a right of way along this strip in order to reach his front door.

However, in 1900 the Science and Art School had been built next door and in 1910 plans were being made for a new street (Lime Grove) to join London Road immediately next to the vicarage.  This meant that the 15ft strip of land could be used as a means of access to Lime Grove, and in fact was so used by the public in the early days of Lime Grove.

Mr Sealy felt that this situation was undesirable, and after considerable legal correspondence had been exchanged between the parties concerned the strip of land was bought in November 1913 and became the private property of the vicarage, and was made into a drive.  This purchase, together with the necessary wall etc cost about £300; there were no grants available to pay this account, and the result was that the Vicar's Stipend was reduced by £5 15s. 4d. per annum as the Church Commissioners had been asked to find the money*

This page was added by Website Administrator on 08/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.