Strelley House, Bulwell

By Jay Chapman

The photo dates from 1982, before the new road and underpass was built

 

Strelley House built in 1667 as a free school for local boys

Sold 1n 1899 to Mr & Mrs Wilkinson a Lime burner who owned the local quarry.

On Dec 4th - 7th in 1929 a pageant was held  called A DREAM OF OLD BULWELL, it was in aid of the restoration fund for the church organ & the Professional Nursing Association, it was presented in 12 episodes & the following rhyme was used in the pageant

The house is standing to this day,   Where Joseph Calladine held sway,   And ruled with rod his scholar band, One of the earliest in the land.  He read the bible day by day,  And taught the boys to work and play,  Reading, writing and arithmetic,  Impressed with whacking from his stick,  Ben Collins* lamed in foot and hand,  Assured them to understand,  If walls could speak we know full well, Strange yarns that Strelley House could tell.

 

* Ben Collins apparently use to pick his lame hand up with his good one and use it to whack the children with.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Strelley House, Bulwell' page
This page was added by Jay Chapman on 31/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.