The Meadow Foundry, Mansfield

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'The Meadow Foundry, Mansfield' page

Some landmarks in its early history

By Tony Clement


Local historians may be interested in some research about one of the oldest foundries in Mansfield, which was established  more than 120 years ago.

Perhaps Some former employees might like to comment about their time working at the foundry in 60s and 70s, this would make interesting reading.  If so, please leave a message via the ‘Add a Comment’ option at the bottom of this page.


1852 – Meadow Foundry founded by Messrs. Bradshaw and Sansom who were both former apprentices at James Maude’s foundry*

1867 – On 7th June 1867 Bradshaw &  Sansom  leased from the Duke of Portland an iron foundry at Littleworth,  Mansfield, lease was for 14 years*

1868 – Bradshaw & Sansom  were listed as bankrupt in 1868. The Foundry was leased to a James Bownes, who converted it to a limited company for 21 years.*

1871 – Meadow Foundry was listed in the **Sheffield Trade Directory as a company producing hot water and rainwater goods, baths and cooking ranges

1872 – Meadow Foundry name was incorporated on 23rd November 1872, with capital of £15,000. The managing director was a Mr William Richardson, who had previously served as works manager *

1880 – Meadow Foundry advertises as a manufacturer of hot water loop radiators and various expansion joints and pipes

1896 – Meadow Foundry established the Portland Cycle Company, patronised by the Duke of Portland, catalogue of cycles was interspersed by pictures of Welbeck Abbey. Mr Antonio Richardson listed as company secretary of the cycle company*

1898 – 14th January 1898 – Portland Cycles models were shown to the Press. Their Popular machine cost 10 gns and weighed 25 lbs.***

1899 – 2nd June 1899 – Large fire at Meadow Foundry causing £6,000 damage, pattern shop, smiths shop and joiners shop all destroyed - detailed report Mansfield  Reporter with photographs – Source Mansfield Reporter 2nd June 1899

1899 – 9th June 1899  Meadow Foundry exhibited at the Mansfield Agricultural Show on Mansfield Market Place – they exhibited various goods which included garden rollers, garden seats, grit crushers, garden vases – Source Mansfield Reporter 9th June 1899

1902 – 20th June - £50 shares are for sale by auction at the Swan Hotel, Mansfield - Source Mansfield Advertiser 20th June 1902

1907 – Presentation to Mr W. Richardson, after 35 years service with Meadow Foundry – 16th August 1907 Mansfield Reporter

1912 – Foundry on strike for an extra 2 shillings per week, making average wage of £2 per week  - Mansfield Advertiser 16th August 1912

1946 – Mr Frank Wilson retires as the machine shop foreman after serving the company for 50 years

1946 – Mr and Mrs Evans of Recreation Street, Mansfield, celebrated their golden wedding, Mr Evans at 70 is reputedly the oldest employee of Meadow Foundry, for whom he had work since the age of 10, and was reported to have never had a day off work with illness – Mansfield Advertiser June 1946

Further research has brought up more facts about the acquisition of Sanderson and Robinson Ltd which was in 1957 and not 1857. Sanderson and Robinson evolved from the Sanderson’s Foundry which was situated  on  Leeming Street where the Mansfield Museum currently stands. They moved in 1903/4 when their lease from the Duke of Portland  expired . At that time Mr Robinson bought into the company and its name was changed. In 1917 they acquired Korting Brothers 1917) Ltd who were  at  the time had been a subsidiary of a German company  Schutte Koerting. They moved to a new site off  Western  Avenue , Mansfield.

Source Allan Barham  from his Meadow Foundry history


According to the National Archives all minutes, annual reports, accounts etc., are in existence and held privately – Source National Archives sector development

Site of early foundry was described as two buildings over the River Maun with an external water wheel the lease from the Duke of Portland included use of water from the river which was supplied from Kings Mill Reservoir

It’s also quite relevant that William Richardson patented a number of products that bore his name and continued to be produced right up to the company’s closure in 1980. These included Richardson’s light pattern and brass edged duct covers  and  Richardson’s pipes and fittings used primarily for heating systems.


*Source Nottingham Industrial Society article vol. 12 part 1         

**Sheffield Trade Directory 1871

***Nottinghamshire history 1898



This page was added by Website Administrator on 16/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.