Beeston Wake Week

By Alice Cave

Beeston Wakes

Beeston library does not have any photographs showing Wakes celebrations in Beeston.   Oldrini in his book “Gleanings, or something about Beeston in the olden times” (1873) comments, ‘The feast of Dedication (commonly called “the Wakes”) is held on the Sunday immediately succeeding S. Peter’s Day, but the Church itself is dedicated to S. John Baptist – the Wakes still being ruled by old style.’

Photo:Church Sunday School Procession

Church Sunday School Procession

Nottingham City Council, Copyright © North East Midland Photographic Record. All rights reserved.

This picture is thought to date from about 1910.  The building on the right with the arched windows is the Midland Bank.  When The Square was redeveloped in 1965, this old building was demolished.   It was replaced in 1967, having occupied temporary premises on Station Road in the interim.  


Further information about the history of the Midland Bank in Beeston can be found in the pamphlet, "100 years of banking in Beeston".


This page was added by Alice Cave on 02/06/2010.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.