Dateline Ollerton

The location of Ollerton in the heart of Nottinghamshire. A convenient base from which to explore ancient Sherwood Forest

Some key dates in the history of Ollerton

By Alexander Combie

1066 Ollerton (or Alreton as it was then called) mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Two manors, one belonging to Gilbert de Gend, and the other to Roger de Busli.

1200 First known mention of a parson in Ollerton, William, Rector of Ollerton.

13th Century  Ollerton merged into the Parish of Edwinstowe.

15th Century  Ollerton Parish Registers begin 1592, and are continuous from that date. Oak Chest in St. Giles probably dates from that period. Thomas Markham of Ollerton was Standard Bearer to Queen Elizabeth 1st Band of Pensioners.

1640  Date of Communion Chalice and Cover still in use in St. Giles.

1643  Col. Thomas Markham, great grandson of the above Thomas Markham was killed in battle. Fighting for the Royalists in the Civil War near Gainsborough. He is buried at Ollerton and the tombstone is set in the North Wall of St. Giles.

1777  Rebuilding of St. Giles Church, the cost being paid by Sir George Saville of Rufford, and by parishioners. About this time Ollerton had approx. 600 inhabitants, many hopfields, a little market each Friday and two fairs each year. One on the 1st of May and the other on the 25th of September.

1790  The Saviles take over from the Markhams as Lords of the Manor.

1842  National School (later known as Ollerton Church of England School) on Wellow Road, was erected. Cost being met by subscription.

1860  Restoration of the Church. Cemetery on Forest Road opened.

1867  Forest Road Methodist Church built.

1869  Methodist Church in old village built.

1875  Peal of 6 hexiepherical bells given by Mr. Cecil George Foljambe (afterwards 3rd Earl of Liverpool). Clock placed in the Tower by Public subscription.

1920s  Erection of War Memorial; Mission Hall built.

1925  Ollerton Colliery opened; Police station built.

1927  Whinney Lane Senior School built.

1928  Sherwood Drive Methodist Church built

1929  Whinney Lane Infants School built

1930s  Baptist Chapel built; Salvation Army Citadel built; Roman Catholic Church built.

1931  Building of St. Paulinus Church.

1934  Forest View School built.

1961  Population 7,000

1960s  County Library built; Dukeries Comprehensive School opened; New Miners’ Welfare built.

This page was added by Alexander Combie on 21/02/2012.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.