Sutton Baths

By Marg Thorne

The Old Sutton Baths which stands on Brook Street in Sutton in Ashfield was designed by Sutton architect Leopold Dodsley, son of William Marsh Eckersley Dodsley and grandson of Squire John Dodsley of Skegby Hall

The land consisting of 1,422 square yards was originally owned by the Duke of Portland, and let for allotments when it was signed over in May 1923

Funding for the baths came from the Sutton Miner’s Welfare Fund, which was built up by the 1d on a tonne of coal.  They gave £16.027 towards the construction of the old baths in 1924. Other monies from this fund were used for the bandstand, hard and grass tennis courts and tennis pavilion, and a Bowling Green and pavilion on Sutton Lawn.  It also paid for a large playing ground with swings and tennis courts on Hardwick Lane, and sand-pit on Garden Lane.

The building work at the baths was carried out by R. Moore of Mansfield.  It was 75ft by 35ft, and 7ft deep grading down to 2ft 6 at the shallow end.  It held 97,000 gallons of water.  The steelwork and concrete were carried out by the Empire Stone Co.  In 1926 the building was opened by Mrs J. Strachan, of Stanton Hill, wife of the Sutton Colliery Manager who was also chairman of the local welfare committee. 

  When the baths were handed over to Sutton Urban District Council, in April 1927 there was a provisional agreement which stated that miners resident in Sutton would get preferential treatment. The Baths cost around £20,000 to build, so without the miner’s generous donations, the building would never have been built.

Initially, the baths was open for just the summer months.  When the winter came, the pool was covered with maple flooring and the building played host to some of the country’s most famous names.  The Foundations, Kendo Nagasaki,  Bruce Woodcock..........

The new pool was due to open in 1966. But in Feb 1965, a fire struck the old pool, delaying the re-opening

Cllr Tom Stimpson received a civic trust commendation for Sutton baths due to its design in June 1969


Sadly its doors were closed in 2008, with the opening of the Lammas Leisure Centre.

This page was added by Marg Thorne on 10/12/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.